Dordrecht, The Netherlands
14 September 2023
Intersafe Netherlands BV – part of the Lyreco Group – is the recognized leader in the field of personal protective
equipment such as hearing protection, safety glasses respiratory protection and clothing.
Next to delivering personal protection equipment we support our customers in their health & safety policy through
training, consultancy and research. We distinguish ourselves in the market with customers in innovative ways, to
find unique solutions for safety issues. This added value allows customers to see us as the partner for safe and healthy
working conditions for both industrial and office workplace. From its headquarters in Dordrecht 175 people work
every day to further build the success of our growing organization. We invest in the growth and development of our
staff, because we see them as the key success factor of our company.
Intersafe offers a wide and very diversified range of product categories to its customers. Next to recognized A-brands
we also developed our own brand in PPE which we want to expand in Europe. To guarantee our high standards with
regards to our product and solution offering, and as part of our growth strategy in Europe, we are now looking for a
European Category Manager Head, Hear, Eye Protection to support us in this process. The purpose of this strategic
position is to create value to the before mentioned categories and contribute to the overall profitability of the
categories for Intersafe and its (European based) affiliates. The EU Category Manager will report directly to the
Marketing Director within the SBU (strategic business unit). The position is Benelux based.
Intersafe highly values an excellent fit on a value level between the company and the candidate and wishes future
employees to be ambassador of these values. Hence, the following detailed outlined values of the organization:
• We anticipate, innovate and adapt to change
• We are curious to experiment and share our knowledge to develop the team
• We take risks, make bold decisions and move ideas into action to better serve our people and our
• We encourage each other in every part of the organization to develop new ideas and exploit them
• We are entrepreneurial by constantly seeking new opportunities and ways to improve and succeed
• We strive for perfection in everything we do
• We deliver high quality performance against objectives and accept responsibility
• We show discipline and finish what we start
• We set high standards and keep raising the bar with a positive can-do attitude
• We execute with focus to drive for sustainable growth and development
• We deliver on our promises for our people and our customers
• We really care (for our customers, colleagues, partners and the environment)
• We care for and respect our colleagues, customers, partners and the environment we live in
• We act beyond our own tasks and responsibilities, we understand the bigger picture
• We make time to have fun and celebrate our achievements
• We are proud of our heritage and passionate about future possibilities
• We are passionate about making a difference for Lyreco and our customers
• We believe in trust, respect and ethical behavior to create a positive and professional environment for
• We are always open and honest, we stick to the truth
• We act professionally and ethically
• We are more focused on the interest of Lyreco and our customers than just our own or departmental
• We work together in a culture of professional trust and transparency, feedback and continuous
• We do what is right for Lyreco, our customer, our team and our people
The description of this new position reads as follows:
– The Category Manager plays an important role in ensuring Lyreco’s profitable sales growth.
– The Category Manager builds and executes the category strategy that will ensure the achievement of sales
and margin targets. He/she supports the SBU Marketing Director in the strategy definition.
– The Category Manager works together with the SBU Purchasing Director on Supplier Management
(prospection, selection, negotiation, contract, improvement plans, and potentially delisting).
– The Category Manager is responsible to support subsidiaries.
– The Category Manager, in collaboration with the SBU Marketing Director, defines the group product
– The Category Manager Initiates and participates in (multi-disciplinary) projects.
– The Category Manager is responsible for following up on EU regulation and normalization within the
category, informing local marketing teams on developments.
Hereunder the main accountabilities and responsibilities as well as competences have been set out in detail.
The main responsibilities of this position include – but may not be limited to -:
– Support the strategy definition in collaboration with the SBU Marketing Director for his/her product category according
to the overall Lyreco strategy to reach company sales and profitability targets.
– Understand and analyze customers, market & product trends through both Lyreco sales figures and overall B2B market
intelligence including the main international competitors’ activities.
– Compiles the Group product range within defined product and target groups in such a way that the supply program
continues to meet the market requirements, compliant and sustainable. Has contacts with suppliers for this purpose.
– Creates conditions and circumstances for optimal market acceptance of the products in the market segment and ensures
effective sales arguments and other support for the operational sales departments and promotional communications.
– Develop learning programs/trainings in own product categories together with the Learning & Development department.
– Supports the (commercial) departments at Intersafe business lines in Europe with product and market knowledge.
– Makes proposals for pricing policy and promotional support.
– Build and follow-up action plans aligned with the Category strategy to deliver expected results.
– Together with the SBU Marketing Director and Safety Business line directors, draw up targets on estimates sales.
– Evaluates and adjusts within the relevant product and target groups.
– The Category Manager has a good Supplier market knowledge and understanding in order to constantly prospect for
new opportunities. Source and select the best suppliers fitting Lyreco’s requirements: Healthy financial status, well
developed and managed sustainability policy, high level of logistics efficiency and service.
– In collaboration with the SBU Purchasing Director and SBU Marketing Director, prepare, launch and manage tenders/
RFQ (request for quotes) when and if needed. Prepare and review tender documents in collaboration with the legal team
and Purchasing team in order to reduce any risk Lyreco may have either in selecting new suppliers or in removing
suppliers from Lyreco’s portfolio.
– In collaboration with the SBU Purchasing Director and SBU Marketing Director, negotiate Prices as well as trading terms
and conditions (Rebates, marketing funds, advertising, etc.). Timely manage the signature process of the Business
Supply Agreement (BSA = Business Principle + Commercial Agreement) with Group suppliers in collaboration with the
Group Legal department and Group Finance.
– Ensure a competitive offer.
– Challenge & optimize our group suppliers’ performance
– Ensure a close follow up of actions.
– Monitor the corrective action plans if any and measure their efficiency.
(1) Group Product Assortment management
– The Category Manager is responsible for the Group Assortment selection (new, continue, delist) in line with the
Category strategy and customers’ needs. The Category Manager will present and defend the common range
assortment to the subsidiaries.
– The Category Manager is responsible for accepting or refusing exception requests made by subsidiaries on the
– The Category Manager will identify gaps in the offer and constantly look for new opportunities in products but also
– The Category Manager, is responsible for correct information for the common range.
– Support the Group Sustainability policy for the Group products and supplier selection by building a range of Green
products and applying a sustainable purchasing policy.
(2) Support Local marketing teams in the implementation of the strategy
– Ensure that local and group strategies are coherent and aligned.
– Regularly visit subsidiaries to follow up action plans.
– Bring Category knowledge to the subsidiaries. This includes training toolkits on product categories, markets, crossselling activities, etc.
– Support the SBU Marketing Director in the organization of Category meetings with Local Product managers to
share Group performance, Group Category Strategy, Supplier development, actions to drive Sales growth, organize
workshops to help local teams to organize their plans and build their assortment. Discuss, get feedback and
influence subsidiaries about new selection. Identify new growth opportunities. Share best practices amongst
– Work closely with subsidiaries identified as pilots in key projects.
– Recommend the selling price positioning, margin expectation and communicate it to the local product managers
through a category pricing memo.
– Provide proper training material/knowledge for local marketing teams to be cascaded to sales force.
(3) Participation in projects
– Lead transversal project activities together with the Group Marketing Team.
Skills & Competences
This is an important role within the business and requires a candidate with the highest possible personal and
professional standards. The successful candidate will ideally have some or all of the following skills:
• Bachelor degree in commercial, purchasing or marketing field.
• At least 5 years of relevant work experience.
• Knowledge of and experience with modern automation systems.
• Excellent knowledge of the English languages. Knowledge of French is an advantage.
• Since this position is oriented towards the management of the relationship with all LYRECO countries, mobility of the
individual is very important (travel mainly in Europe with occasional travel to Asia)
The main competences expected are:
• Market orientation
• Customer focus
• Analysis & Decision-making
• Problem analysis
• Organizational Sensitivity
• Awareness of environment
• Persistence in challenging colleagues
• Good communication skills
• Be able to work in a multi-cultural environment
Apart from excellent remuneration benefits, this strategic job comes with more benefits Intersafe Lyreco has to
offer you, like:
• Established and successful name in the industry;
• High quality products in an overall concept;
• Challenging and independent position;
• We have 27 days annual leave;
• Travel allowance; company car
• An excellent pension plan;
• Possibilities for personal growth in a continuous changing environment;
• Excellent benefits.
The whole procedure will take 3 rounds being the first one with Culture Fitter and two rounds of interviews with
Intersafe. Personality analysis can be part of the procedure.
Please apply by sending your email and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org , email@example.com
or reach us at telephone number 0031 (6) 53975352